WHAT: Oregon Health & Science University Ask the Health Experts fall seminar series continues with five lectures offered in October. Featured speakers are leading experts in their field who will answer questions following the lectures. Topics in the series range among today's top health concerns, from the latest developments in prevention and detection to state-of-the-art treatment options.
The lectures are free and open to the public.
· Wednesday, Oct. 7 — "Is it a heart attack? How to know and what to do about it." Saurabh Gupta, M.D., cardiology specialist, will discuss what to do if you think you are having a heart attack and will describe the signs and symptoms.
· Wednesday, Oct. 14 — "Prostate cancer: surgical and radiation options for the newly diagnosed." Christopher Amling, M.D., and Arthur Hung, M.D., prostate cancer specialists, will share the latest OHSU Knight Cancer Institute treatment options for prostate cancer, including robotic prostatectomy and Calypso® radiation therapy.
· Wednesday, Oct. 21 — "Non-operative management of osteoarthritis." Nels Carlson, M.D., an orthopaedics and rehabilitation specialist,will discuss the newest research advances and non-invasive options for treating osteoarthritis.
· Thursday, Oct. 22 — "Alternatives to hysterectomy." Mark Nichols, M.D., a specialist in obstetrics and gynecology, will share why hysterectomies are not the only answer to pain, heavy bleeding or pelvis prolapse. Learn about creative and conservative options that may provide alternative solutions for many women. (This lecture will be held at a different location than the other lectures: OHSU Hospital, 8th floor auditorium.)
· Wednesday, Oct. 28 — "When prostate cancer recurs: the latest in research and therapies." Tomasz Beer, M.D., and Joshi Alumkal, M.D., prostate cancer specialists, share information about treatment options for recurrent prostate cancer and new advancements made by OHSU Knight Cancer Institute.
WHEN: 7 to 8 p.m.
WHERE: OHSU Center for Health & Healing, third floor, 3303 S.W. Bond Ave., Portland.
*** Note: The Oct. 22 "Alternatives to hysterectomy" lecture will be at an alternate location: OHSU Hospital, 8th floor auditorium.
Maps and driving directions are available at www.ohsuhealth.com/maps
DETAILS: To attend the OHSU Ask the Health Experts lectures, register online at www.ohsuhealth.com/seminaror by phone at 503 494-1122. Free parking is available near the Center for Health & Healing. Light refreshments will be served.
Calypso® is a registered trademark of Calypso Medical Inc