WHAT: Oregon Health & Science University Ask the Health Experts 2009 seminar series continues through November and December. OHSU leading experts in their fields will answer questions following the lectures. Topics range from the latest developments in prevention and detection to state-of-the-art treatment options.
The lectures are free and open to the public.
· Wednesday, Nov. 11 — "Beyond the smoke: learn the other causes of lung cancer and what you can do." Alan Sandler, M.D., lung cancer specialist, will talk about the myths and facts of this common cancer, once thought to be only a smoker's disease. Learn what the newest research is telling doctors.
· Wednesday, Nov. 18 — "Hip and knee replacements: are you a candidate?" Thomas Huff, M.D., orthopedic specialist, will share important advances in joint replacement for arthritis, sports injuries and aging joints, and who is a candidate.
· Wednesday, Dec. 2 — "Heart disease in women: how is it different than in men?" Diana Rinkevich, M.D., women's heart specialist, will discuss how heart disease can be hard to detect in women, especially because women can have different symptoms than men. Prevention, diagnoses and treatment of heart disease in women will be covered.
· Thursday, Dec. 10 — "Pictures of the heart: understanding cardiac imaging technologies." Michael Shapiro, D.O., cardiac imaging specialist, will explain how and why imaging is used to diagnose and understand heart problems and disease. Learn about the different imaging technologies are and how they differ.
· Wednesday, Dec. 16 — "Emerging therapies for epilepsy." David Spencer, M.D., neurologist and epilepsy specialist, will share information about the important advances in research, new medication therapies and surgical interventions to treat epilepsy.
WHEN: 7 to 8 p.m.
WHERE: OHSU Center for Health & Healing, third floor, 3303 S.W. Bond Ave., Portland. Maps and driving directions are available at www.ohsuhealth.com/maps
DETAILS: To attend the OHSU Ask the Health Experts lectures, register online at www.ohsuhealth.com/seminaror by phone at 503 494-1122. Free parking is available near the Center for Health & Healing. Light refreshments will be served.