WHAT: Get Going Oregon! — a 30-day walking challenge to support diabetes prevention, education and outreach programs at the Oregon Health & Science University Harold Schnitzer Diabetes Health Center — launches with a kick-off event at South Waterfront this weekend.
Kick-off activities will include:
· 5-mile, 1-mile and 5K walks along the Willamette River, with multiple starts
· Healthy food, fitness, health and activity fair, including heart screenings, vision health, impact testing, health information on cancer, spine health, OHSU Harold Schnitzer Diabetes Health Center, OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital and more
· Healthy bento cooking classes in march wellness demonstration kitchen*
· ZUMBA fitness participatory demonstration class* march wellness fitness classes*
· Aerial Tram rides free with Get Going Oregon! registration.
*Events first come first served, space limited
Registrants receive a commemorative Get Going Oregon! visor, digital seven-day memory pedometer, health tips, activity tracker, entry into the Saturday, July 24, River Walks and the August month-long challenge.
As a convenience for students and families, OHSU Sports Medicine is offering discounted high school sports physicals at the Get Going Oregon! To reserve a student sports physical exam at an affordable fee call 503 494-4000.
The event is co-sponsored by Aetna Foundation, Albertsons and Walker Tracker.
WHEN: Saturday, July 24, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
WHERE: OHSU Center for Health & Healing, South Waterfront, 3303 S.W. Bond Street, Portland
DETAILS: For more information or to register, visit: www.getgoingoregon.org. The registration fee is $25 for individual registration, $55 for families of three to five (immediate family only), $20 per person or $200 for teams of ten. Registration includes a digital pedometer and an online activity tracker. Same day registration available with late fee.