WHAT: The popular Oregon Health & Science University Ask the Health Experts seminar series returns this fall with seven free lectures. Featured speakers are leading experts in their field who will answer questions following the lectures. Topics in the series range among today’s top health concerns, from the latest developments in prevention and detection to treatment options.
- Wednesday, September 15 — Osteoarthritis of the Spine. Nels Carlson, M.D., an OHSU orthopedic surgeon, will share the latest research advances and non-invasive options for treating spinal osteoarthritis.
- Wednesday, September 22 — The Team Approach: Advancements in Prostate Cancer Research and Treatment. Joshi Alumkal, M.D., Christopher Amling, M.D., F.A.C.S., Tomasz Beer, M.D. and Arthur Hung, M.D., OHSU oncologists, will discuss new advancements in prostate cancer research, therapies for recurrent patients and treatment options for newly diagnosed prostate cancer including robotic prostatectomy and Calypso radiation therapy.
- Wednesday, October 13 — How to Survive a Heart Attack. Kevin Wei, M.D., an OHSU cardiologist, will talk about the warning signs of a heart attack and how to increase the chance of survival. Wei will also showcase the latest technology that OHSU’s Chest Pain Center is using to save lives.
- Tuesday, October 19 — Mammograms: What’s Right for Me? Michelle Berlin, M.D., an OHSU obstetrician and gynecologist; Mark Kettler, M.D. and Arpana Naik, M.D., OHSU oncologists; Heidi Nelson, M.D., M.P.H., an OHSU researcher; and Elizabeth Steiner, M.D., an OHSU pediatrician, will discuss at what age and how often a woman should get a mammogram. The panel of experts will explain how scientific evidence is evaluated and how risk differs between women.
- Wednesday, October 20 — Scoliosis and the Adult Spine. Robert Hart, M.D., an OHSU orthopedic surgeon, will share how adults livings with scoliosis face a uniquely different set of challenges, especially in deciding when and how medical treatment can help with the management of the disorder.
- Tuesday, November 9 — Menopausal Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT): The Latest Information. Paula Amato, M.D., an OHSU obstetrician and gynecologist, will talk about the benefits and risks of HRT and share the most up-to-date facts about hormone replacement therapy.
- Wednesday, November 17 — Hip and Knee Replacements: Are you a Candidate? Darin Friess, M.D., an OHSU orthopedic surgeon, will discuss important advances in joint replacement for the treatment of arthritis, sports injuries and aging joints.
All lectures are free and open to the public.
WHEN: 7 to 8 p.m.
WHERE: All lectures are held at the OHSU Center for Health & Healing, third floor, 3303 S.W. Bond Ave., Portland. Maps and driving directions are available at www.ohsuhealth.com/maps
DETAILS: To attend the OHSU Ask the Health Experts lectures, register online at www.ohsuhealth.com/seminar or by phone at 503 494-1122. Free parking is available near the Center for Health & Healing. Light refreshments will be served.