OHSU Hospital has become one of the first institutions in the country to launch an iPhone/iPad application allowing patients secure access health records from any place where they can receive a wireless signal. The MyChart iPhone Application, created by Epic Systems, allows users to immediately access:
- Test Results – Once they are released by your healthcare provider
- Messages from the doctor’s office – Patients can both view and reply to messages remotely
- Appointments – Patients can view future and past appointments including information about the time and location of a visit
- Health advice – The application also allows patients to ask the doctor’s office for medical advice anytime, anywhere
- Health advisories – The application tells you when you are due for vaccinations and other treatments
- A health summary of your current health - See your health history, current diagnosis list, and information on medications allergies and immunizations
- Proxy access – You can also access a family members health information (with their approval) via the application
The MyChart iPhone application requires a login so that your personal health information remains protected. The application uses the same bank-level security that is used for other sensitive data transferred via the Internet.
The MyChart iPhone Application is an extension of OHSU’s MyChart Web site, which provides users with 24-7 private and secure access to their health records via computer. The MyChart Web site has been available to OHSU patients since 2006. The mobile application launched in late 2010.
“Health care information isn’t something that is only required during regular business hours. Patients deserve round-the-clock access their records,” said Dr. Thomas Yackel, M.D., M.P.H., M.S., an assistant professor of medical informatics and internal medicine in the OHSU School of Medicine. We’re excited about new technologies such as this which further expand patient/provider communications.”
Both the MyChart iPhone application and access to the MyChart Web site are free of charge. To sign up for MyChart, patients need to need to get an activation letter when checking-in for an appointment or during the appointment itself. The MyChart iPhone application is available once patients have signed up for MyChart online.