OHSU-AFSCME collective bargaining enters week 14
OHSU-AFSCME collective bargaining begins
The OHSU and AFSCME collective bargaining teams met on June 14 in their second agreed-upon mediation session. During these mediation sessions — which are a routine part of collective bargaining — a neutral third party works with both teams to facilitate reaching an agreement.
Yesterday, the teams reached tentative agreements on multiple items:
- 1.1.1 Recognition – classified employees
- 6.8.5 Removal of materials
- 7.2.2 Split shifts
- 8.6 Upward adjustments
- 9.3 Change in reporting time
- 13.3.3 Notification of sick time usage
- 15.1.2 Relief employees
- 20.1.4 Termination during probationary period
- 20.3 Extensions
- MOU 20 Paid Family Leave Task Force
- MOU UX4 Downward adjustment
- MOU UX7 Employee designations
In addition to some of the items on which the parties reached tentative agreements, the OHSU team responded to the following AFSCME proposals:
- Article 2 Union provisions: The OHSU team responded to proposals regarding exclusive representatives, access, release hours, activities and training.
- 13.2 Attendance recognition: The OHSU team’s response discussed when sick leave days would be counted toward attendance recognition.
- 21.2.1 Implementation of a new classification or major revisions of existing classifications: The OHSU response increases to eight weeks the time for new classifications or revisions to be made.
The OHSU team had initially planned on providing an economic package in response to AFSCME’s proposals. However, after the mediator shared feedback from the AFSCME team, plans shifted and the OHSU team will be going back to the drawing board to prepare a revised response. Next week, the OHSU team will bring back an economic proposal that incorporates AFSCME’s feedback.
The AFSCME team responded to several of OHSU’s proposals:
- Article 2 Union provisions: The AFSCME team responded to proposals regarding exclusive representatives, access, release hours, activities and training.
- 2.9.4 Access to OHSU intranet pages: This proposal was withdrawn.
- 5.UX4 Preceptor: AFSCME counter-proposed language related to the definition of “preceptor.”
- 5.UX12 Telework: New definitions of “Remote Work” were proposed by the AFSCME team.
- 13.2 Attendance recognition: The AFSCME team’s response discussed when sick leave days would be counted toward attendance recognition, among other changes.
- 14.2.7 Catastrophic event/emergency leave: AFSCME’s counter-proposal includes language that indicates this item would not be subject to attendance-related discipline.
- 21.2.1 Implementation of a new classification or major revisions of existing classifications: The AFSCME team responded to OHSU with an expanded timeline and an extension option.
- MOU – Daily overtime, weekend, shift differential waivers: The AFSCME team submitted revisions to OHSU’s form for waiver of weekend differential.
NEXT MEETING DATE:
The teams will next meet on June 21 in another mediation session. Because of the often-confidential nature of mediation, there may be fewer bargaining updates.