OHSU-HOU bargaining: Session 12
November 17, 2023
OHSU HOU bargaining
Members of the Oregon Health & Science University and House Officers Union bargaining teams met in person on Thursday, Nov. 16, for their 12th session, which focused on economic items.
The OHSU bargaining team’s proposals centered economic topics, proposing:
- 5.1 Annual Salary Stipend: Increases in the annual salary stipend amount by 6% for the 2024 – 25 academic year, 4% for the 2025 – 26 academic year and 4% for the 2026 – 27 academic year.
- 5.2 Housing Allowance: Increasing the housing allowance amount to $2,500 for the 2024 – 25 academic year and rolling the housing allowance into the annual salary.
- 5.4 Meal Allowance: Language reflecting the intent of the meal allowance, to offer funds to cover food for extra-long shifts.
- 5.5 Work-Required Expenses: Providing reimbursement for an Oregon Medical Board unlimited license when a house officer’s program requires an unlimited license because of an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) requirement.
- 5.6 Education and Professional Development: Increasing the annual funds for professional development to $850 and turning those annual funds into a yearly allowance.
- 5.X Chief Resident Salary Supplement: Creating a minimum chief resident salary stipend of $50 per month for chief residents who meet certain criteria, while maintaining the ability for individual programs to pay chief residents above this amount.
- 5.X Bilingual Bonus: An annual stipend per academic year of $1,000 for house officers who have completed the bilingual exam.
- 7.X Sick Leave: Adding four wellness half-days into the sick leave article as an appropriate use of sick leave to engage in activities that improve house officer’s wellbeing.
- 7.X Bereavement Leave: Including three days of paid bereavement leave per academic year.
Additionally, OHSU has committed to making funds available for student center improvements. These decisions will be determined by HOU members and OHSU leadership.
- 4.xb Service App: HOU withdrew their proposal for the development of an app after hearing current efforts happening with the OHSU Now app.
During the bargaining session, the HOU and OHSU bargaining teams discussed various topics related to previous proposals. Working to find common ground, these discussions helped both teams better understand the intent behind those proposals.
The OHSU and HOU teams will next meet in person on Thursday, Nov. 30.