Oct. 27, 2021 UPDATE: The original Sept. 27 story was updated to include more recent federal and state recommendations related to COVID-19 booster shots.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Western States Scientific Safety Review Workgroup, have authorized and recommended booster doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines for eligible individuals, including OHSU health care workers, at various locations across Oregon. The groups also approved a "mix-and-match" strategy, which enables eligible individuals to receive a booster shot with any of the COVID-19 vaccines available in the U.S., regardles of which specific vaccine they received for their initial vaccinaiton.
“Available COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective, and are the single best thing people can do to limit severe illness and virus spread,” says Dawn Nolt, M.D., professor of pediatrics (infectious diseases) in the OHSU School of Medicine. “Oregonians who have received two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, continue to have excellent protection from COVID-19. Based on available evidence, OHSU supports federal and state guidance to offer an extra layer of protection – through vaccine boosters – to its high-risk community members.”
Who is eligible?
- People who received a Johnson & Johnson vaccination at least two months ago
- People who completed a Pifzer or Moderna vaccine series at least six months ago and meet at least one of the following:
- Are 65 or older
- Are 18 or older, and live in a nursing home or other long-term care setting
- Are 18 or older, and have are at high risk of severe COVID-19 due to a medical condition
- Are 18 or older, and have a job that puts them at high risk for exposure to COVID-19
COVID-19 booster shots, along with flu vaccine shots, are available at a community pharmacy or an OHSU outpatient pharmacy near you:
- OHSU Pharmacies (walk-ins welcome, no appointment needed)
- Center for Health & Healing 1
- Center for Health & Healing 2
- Physician's Pavilion
- Beaverton Clinic (closed noon to 12:30 p.m.)
- Gabriel Park Clinic (closed 12:30 to 1 p.m.); call the pharmacy at 503-494-2098; see map
- Community vaccine events
By appointment only
- OHSU Multnomah Pavilion, beginning Oct. 2
- OHSU Health Community Site at the Portland Expo Center, beginning Oct. 4