Members of the Oregon Health & Science University and House Officers Union bargaining teams met in person on Thursday, Oct. 19, for their ninth bargaining session.
The OHSU bargaining team’s proposals centered on the process for union use of OHSU's email system, bargaining unit lists for the union and contract termination:
- 2.1.2 – Use of Employer’s Electronic Mail: OHSU agrees to the union's proposal to reduce the review period of messages for when the union sends communications using OHSU's email system from 48 to 24 hours.
- 2.1.3 – Bargaining Unit Lists: OHSU agrees to provide monthly bargaining unit lists to the union that include house officer personal and work email addresses and phone number, address, date of hire, program and department or division, along with rate of pay.
- New 4.Xd Contract Termination: OHSU proposed the current contract language in response to the union’s previous proposal, and asked for clarification about the intent of the union’s proposal, as GME contracts already address notice provisions and provide a mechanism for challenge.
- 7.3 - Professional Leave: OHSU modified its proposal to allow rollover professional leave days to not exceed seven days a year to clarify that house officers should consult with their program and board requirements on time away to understand if there could be any extension consequences.
The HOU bargaining team’s proposals centered on GME compliance, time away from work, and meal allowance, along with the non-discrimination and retaliation supplement:
- New 4.Xc ACGME Compliance: HOU proposed a new article that would include in the contract the current practices related to internal review of ACGME compliance, with some modifications including establishing a timeline for final determination and a requirement for a written decision.
- Article 7 – Time Away from Work: HOU proposed 20 days of vacation leave with the option of cashing out at a rate of 1/10 of a house officer’s regular stipend payment for unused days. They also requested clarification that post-call days do not count as vacation days, and proposed OHSU cover the difference between Paid Leave Oregon Benefits and a house officer’s regular salary payment; proposed bereavement leave of up to 20 hours per year, not to rollover and four wellness half days per academic year.
- Article 5.4 – Meal Allowance: HOU proposed increasing the monthly meal allowance to $350.00, with the potential for rollover but no cash out.
- Appendix B – Non-Discrimination and Retaliation Supplement: This proposal includes an additional source for house officers to locate resources in the event they encounter an act of discrimination or harassment in the workplace.
The OHSU and HOU bargaining teams came to the following TAs:
- 2.1.2 – Use of Employer's Electronic Mail: The bargaining teams agreed on the union’s proposal to reduce notice period from 48 hours to 24 hours for when the union sends messages using the OHSU email system to groups of employees.
- 2.1.3 – Bargaining Unit Lists: The parties agreed to the contents of a list of all house officers in the bargaining unit to be sent to the Union.
The OHSU and HOU teams will next meet in person on Thursday, Oct. 26.