Members of the Oregon Health & Science University and House Officers Union bargaining teams met in person on Thursday, Dec. 14, for their 14th bargaining session. Teams exchanged proposals related to economic topics and time away from work, and reached one tentative agreement.
The OHSU bargaining team shared counterproposals in response to the HOU bargaining team’s proposals centered on economics:
- Section 5.1 Annual Salary Stipend: Increasing the annual salary stipend.
- Section 5.2 Housing Allowance: Increasing the housing allowance.
- Section 5.3 Relocation Assistance: Increasing relocation assistance.
- Section 5.4 Meal Allowance: A tiered approach to the amount of meal money that takes into consideration shift hours and increases the meal allowance.
- Section 5.6 Educational and Professional Development: Increasing the education and professional development funds and moving those funds to a stipend.
- Section 5.X (new) Chief Resident Salary Supplement: Creating a new chief resident monthly stipend.
Additionally, the OHSU bargaining team submitted a new proposal, Section 5.X (new) Prorated Benefits, to create a new section within the contract that reflects the current practice of prorating benefits for part-time residents.
The HOU bargaining team shared proposals related to time away from work, including:
- Section 7.2 Vacation: HOU maintained their previous proposal to cash out unused vacation days.
- Section 7.3.1 (new) Wellness Days: HOU maintained their proposal to add four wellness half-days per academic year.
- Section 7.4 Professional Leave: HOU reproposed allowing professional leave to rollover from year to year, with up to a nine-day cap in the professional leave bank.
- Section 7.6 Parental Leave: HOU maintained their proposal for OHSU to pay the difference between a house officer’s salary and their state benefits through Paid Leave Oregon for parental leave.
- Section 7.7 Holiday leave: HOU maintained their existing proposal that would provide an alternative day off for a worked holiday, or a monetary bonus for working a holiday.
- Section 7.X (new) Bereavement Leave: Three days of bereavement leave per academic year.
The OHSU and HOU teams will next meet in person on Monday, Dec. 18.